Frequently Asked Questions

What do you do at the RRI?

Employees at the RRI design, coordinate, and implement evaluation and research projects.  See the About RRI and Research Services pages for more information.

Does the RRI provide direct services?

No, but the RRI assists programs that do provide direct services.  If you need help finding services in the community for yourself or someone else, call the Multnomah County Helpline at the numbers listed below, or dial  211 for information and referral services.  Additionally, there are crisis hotlines for other counties on the Multnomah County Crisis Intervention website.

Multnomah County Mental Health Call Center

(503) 988-4888

Toll-Free: 1 (800) 716-9769

TTY: (503) 988-5866

More information on dialing 211 can be found here.

I work in a community-based organization.  Will you help us write grants to support and evaluate our work?

We often work with our community partners to secure funding for projects to demonstrate or test  the effectiveness of a program or to examine the impact of an initiative.  We help write grants for federal, state, local and private funding.  If you have and idea, and have identified a possible funding source, call us to set up a meeting. 

Who should I call to talk about a project?

If you have not worked with RRI in the past, call 503-725-4040 and ask for the Director, Mary Oschwald, or the assistant to the Director, Jennifer Williams.

What kind of preparation should I do ahead of time?  What do I need to bring for a meeting with you?

Come prepared to tell us about your organization, about the project you want help with, and about the resources you have available for the work we might do together. 

Do you have students that conduct evaluations?  Can you help us evaluate our program for free?

We provide a considerable amount of consultation at no cost to community partners.  In some cases, MSW or PhD students are looking for research projects to fulfill practicum requirements; or for experience and are willing to work for little or no remuneration.  However, providing guidance and support for students requires staff and/or faculty time.  It is rare for projects to be implemented at no cost.

Are you looking for research participants or subjects?  Do you pay for research participants?

Many research projects involve research participants.  These are almost always recruited through community partners on our projects.  If there were opportunities (paid or otherwise) for community members to serve as research subjects, you will find those opportunities on the Jobs page

How do you hire students?

PhD students from the School of Social Work often work at RRI as Graduate Research Assistants.  Other student jobs are hourly wage positions.  We hire students as receptionists and sometimes to help on projects.  See our Jobs page for more details on student employment  and for any current postings.

What kind of entry level positions are available?

Research Analyst 1 and Research Assistants (our entry level position for research staff) do a variety of tasks:  interviewing research participants, cleaning and entering data, helping with project coordination, transcribing interviews, etc.

Are you looking for volunteers?

RRI does not have regular volunteer positions.  Some individual research projects use volunteers.  Check the Jobs page for any current opportunities.

Do you have opportunities for students to earn college credit?

Some RRI faculty are willing to serve as instructors for Independent Study courses.  Contact individual faculty if you have an idea for a project.  PhD and MSW students may complete required for-credit field placement or research practica at RRI.