Virtual Coaching Platform
- Secure upload and storage. Video can be securely transferred from any location into VCP via the SFTP (secure file transfer protocol) tool. The video material and scoring data is maintained securely on servers at Portland State University. Each VCP project has its own secure VCP site with a unique url.
EASE OF USE
- Role-specific dashboards. Users see dashboards tailored to their roles. The dashboard lists videos in role-relevant statuses, ordered to highlight videos which require more immediate attention.
- Simple video navigation. Video coders and viewers can navigate easily within videos. The “scrub bar” at the bottom of the video screen can be repositioned to start play at any point. Video controls allow the rater to pause or continue the video, to restart the interval, to back up five seconds, or to skip to the next segment. A color coded segment list at the right side of the video screen provides an additional tool to facilitate navigation.
- Facilitation of rating. Raters score by segment in the videos they are assigned. In rating mode, the parameters to be scored appear immediately below the video, so that both parameters and video can be seen at the same time (unless there are a large number of parameters, in which case scrolling may be required). Ratings can be entered while the video is playing or while it is paused. Raters can score all, or just some of the parameters for any given segment. Raters can also designate a segment “unsure” to flag that segment for further work or for supervisor attention.
- Versatile segment retrieval and review. Users can easily search all rated videos—or any subset of rated videos—for specific segments that have been rated with particular parameter values. The comment field can also be searched for any text.
- Drag and drop video uploading. Videos on your computer can be dragged into the video uploading interface. No browsing needed.
- Automatically generated notifications. Once videos are uploaded and assigned, VCP generates emails automatically to notify users when they may need to take specific actions.
- Flexible data export. Employing the search widget, users have the ability to locate and download data from any rated video. Data is downloaded in a CSV file, which can be easily imported into spreadsheet or data analysis applications.
- Simple clipping and sharing. Virtual clips can be created from any VCP video, regardless of whether it has been rated or not. Multiple clips can be created from any given video. Video clips, together with searchable data about each clip, are stored in the project’s clip “library,” and can be shared with other users or groups of users who have the necessary permission.
- Rater training capacity. Novices can practice rating videos that have already been rated by experts. Novices learn by submitting their rating and receiving feedback on their accuracy (as compared to the expert).
- Role-based access and permissions. Users of VCP are assigned to different roles with varying levels of permission to view and manipulate the project’s videos, to set scoring parameters, to review and compare ratings, and to view and export data. Users with higher levels of permission (i.e., administrators and supervisors) can flexibly assign certain specific permissions to individual users or to pre-defined groups of users.
- Flexibility in defining rating schemas. An admin user has great flexibility in defining the rating scales to be used for her project. Videos can be rated in any interval, from a few seconds to a minute, an hour, or a whole video. An unlimited number of parameters can be defined for rating, and any parameter can have as many rating levels as users desire. Comments can be entered and uniquely associated with a segment.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
John D. Ossowski, MS, LMSW
Portland State University
Regional Research Institute for Human Services
1600 SW 4th Avenue, Suite 900
Portland, Oregon 97201